Previous (previous picture is 496 kB in size) -- Start Page -- Next
The original Commonwealth Solar Observatory Building. This was the focal point, administrative center, and social heart of the Mt Stromlo Observatory before the January 18, 2003 firestorm. The building was constructed between 1924-26. The tunnel below the basement housed the spectrograph, but solar observing ceased in 1950. The tunnel is now used for the Super-Conducting Gravimeter of the Research School of Earth Sciences and the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan that monitors small changes in gravity caused by processes deep in the Earth's interior---the tunnel and equipment in it were not damaged in the firestorm. Besides being the administrative center, the building also housed the mechanical design section, library, and archives---all destroyed in the firestorm. Scroll right to see the entire picture.