This material (including images) is copyrighted!.
See my copyright notice for fair use
|closed universe ||critical density ||dark matter
|flat universe ||open universe
- What is the overall curvature of space in a closed or open or
flat universe? How does the expansion rate compare to the amount of
gravity deceleration in each of these cases?
- Why is the universe's expansion rate slowing down?
- Will it ever slow down completely? How can you find out?
- What type of universe has a critical density?
What would happen to the expansion if the current density < critical density?
How about the case for the current density > critical density?
- Would a universe starting out with a density > critical density ever
expand enough so its density dropped below critical density? Explain why or why
- What is all the fuss about dark matter? If it is not putting out
any light for us to see, how is it known to exist? What are some
examples of observations indicating its presence?
- How can you use the cosmic microwave background (something from the far past)
to determine the fate of the universe (something in the far future)?
Go back to previous section --
Go to next section
June 2, 2007
Is this page a copy of Strobel's
Author of original content: