This material (including images) is copyrighted!.
See my copyright notice for fair use
|carbon cycle (carbon dioxide cycle)
- What distinguishes Venus from the rest of the planets? Why is Venus so
- What is a runaway greenhouse?
- How does the ultraviolet-water interaction explain why Venus is so dry? How is the
same process prevented on the Earth?
- What major geological event occurred on Venus over half a billion years ago? How do we know?
- If Mars' atmosphere is over 90% carbon dioxide like Venus', why does it
have such a small greenhouse effect?
- What atmospheric phenomenon can quickly wipe out any view of Mars' surface from
above? What causes this phenomenon?
- Why does Mars have such a thin atmosphere? What is the runaway refrigerator?
- How does liquid water remove carbon dioxide gas from an atmosphere?
- Why does Titan, a moon of Saturn less massive than Mars, have a more extensive atmosphere than
Mars and Earth? (Recall the factors that affect atmosphere thickness.)
- How do we know that liquid water once flowed on the surface of Mars?
- If life exists on Mars today, where would it be found and why?
- Where is water ice found today on Mars and how do we know? How deeply is it buried?
- What distinguishes Earth from the rest of the planets? What is so
unusual about its atmosphere and what produces this unusual feature?
- What are the different ways that life removes carbon dioxide from the Earth's
- Where do coal, oil, and natural gas come from? What happens when they are
- What is a natural (non-human) way that most of the carbon dioxide is returned to the
atmosphere on Earth?
- How does plate tectonics regulate the climate of the Earth?
- What is the interaction of plate tectonics and liquid water?
- What is a non-natural, human activity that returns a lot of carbon dioxide to
- How do we know that the increase in the Earth's atmospheric carbon dioxide is due to fossil fuel burning?
- How much difference could just a few degrees change in the global average temperature make in our climate? How could that affect our civilization?
- What have climate scientists found about the effect of humans on global climate?
- How are climate models tested?
- What are the benefits of the presence of the ozone layer?
- Is the greenhouse problem on Earth different from the ozone problem? How so?
Go back to previous section --
Go to next section
June 10, 2010
Is this page a copy of Strobel's
Author of original content: